Susie Hakansson Award for Fostering Emerging Leadership of Math Educators of Color
The Susie Hakansson Award for Fostering Emerging Leadership of Math Educators of Color is awarded to an educator who has mentored and supported a mathematics educator who is a person of color.
The recipient will receive
- One-year complimentary CMC membership.
- One complimentary CMC-South conference registration
- One complimentary Affiliate Luncheon ticket.
- One day substitute reimbursement to attend the CMC-South conference (if appropriate).
- $500.00 award
- A CMC member
- Mentored and supported a mathematics educator who is a person of color.
- Participation in professional mathematics organizations and/or participation in local, regional, statewide, or national mathematics projects.
Background Of the Award
Over many decades, Susie Hakansson has taken every opportunity to ensure that California’s mathematics education leadership reflects the diversity of our state. In doing so, Susie has quietly and purposefully facilitated the journey into leadership of many leaders of color. She models what it means to mentor and encourage leaders of color, so that all aspects of mathematics education are enhanced through a growing and deepening community of leaders.
Some of the mathematics educators of color impacted by Susie Hakansson’s work have commented that she saw the potential leadership in them that they did not see in themselves. As a result, these mathematics educators strove to deepen their own professional learning and expertise, but also to share their professional growth with the Southern California mathematics education community in ways they would not have otherwise predicted.
Complete the Susie Hakansson application and email it no later than August 30 of the current year. It should be emailed to: email@example.com
The winner will be notified by email.